Queen Mob’s Tea House posted my rapturous review of MADCAP, the third full-length poetry collection by Jessie Janeshek which will be published this month by Stalking Horse Press.
Jessie Janeshek’s MADCAP (Stalking Horse Press, 2019) is a poetry collection with the soul of a surreal neo-noir film directed by David Lynch and starring Mae West as the hard-boiled detective. It’s a mystery wrapped in faux fur, wandering through a jagged and smoky past like it’s a hall of mercury-glass mirrors. It seeks clues to answer haunting existential questions about the eternal entanglement of beauty and violence. To track down leads, it conducts seances with the spirits of Old Hollywood starlets, their voices phasing in & out like staticky radio waves on West Virginia mountain roads, their sentences cut up & reassembled by the ghost of William S. Burroughs.
Read the full review at Queen Mob’s Tea House
I’m very happy to see another kind & thoughtful review of BADMOTORFLAPPER, this time by Harley Claes over at Angelical Ravings. Some phrases she uses include:
…homage to decadent womanhood, with surrealist style…written both eloquently and at times humorously…an entire cornucopia of sentimental remembrance…
[read the entire review here]
My debut poetry EP, BADMOTORFLAPPER, is now on sale! It’s a 10-track collection of poems I wrote as tributes to some of my favorite women of the 1920s + music of the 1990s. Some of these poems have been previously published in places like Yes, Poetry and Rag Queen Periodical, but some are exclusive to this little booklet.
Print Copies are $4US via PayPal (shipping in US only)
Digital (PDF) copies are $2US via PayPal
- DOROTHY PARKER will have her revenge on Manhattan
- GRETA GARBO behind the counter in a small town
- Sometimes ZELDA FITZGERALD gives the creeps herself
- JOSEPHINE BAKER ain’t nuthing ta fuck wit
- CLARA BOW is in your face but you can’t grab her
- THEDA BARA with butterfly wings
- LUPE VELEZ is a hot spitfire fit to burn
- Got them Down-in-a-hole BESSIE SMITH Blues
- ANNA MAY WONG’s gonna break this rusty cage
- Last Dance with LULU BROOKS